The Connecticut Department of motor vehicles (DMV) determines the issuing of driving licenses for the state. The mailing address for the department of motor vehicles for official correspondence is 60 State Street in Wethersfield, Connecticut 06161. There are many local Connecticut DMV office locations for licensing that may be found online. The main phone number for general questions is 860-263-5700.
There are several requirements that need to be met in order to obtain a driver’s license in Connecticut. The following are these requirements:
1. The driver applicant needs to be at least 16 years old. An applicant between the ages of 16 to 18 needs to provide parental consent for obtaining a learner’s permit. A learner’s permit is a class 2 driving authorization.
2. The license cost of regular Connecticut drivers permits is $72.
3. There are additional types of driving licenses that can be obtained as well. A commercial driver’s license (CDL) is available. The commercial driver’s license is required for various job positions in the transportation or farming industries.
4. Duplicate licenses can be purchased.
5. A new driver can obtain a motorcycle training permit as well.
Passing the Motor Vehicles Examination
Each new driver in the state of Connecticut needs to take and pass a driving written examination. This written examination covers the many road rules and regulations that each driver needs to know and follow. A driver license practice test is available in order to prepare for the written examination. This type of practice test has 50 study questions and 20 road sign questions.
Other Tests to Pass for a Driver’s License
A new driver needs to pass a vision examination as well. This type of testing involves reading certain road signs correctly in an onsite road examination machine. The test scorer will determine if the signs were seen correctly and that the correct answers have been given for this test. A road test is required. This driving test is completed with a driving instructor in the passenger side of the vehicle. The driving applicant drives the car and is given several driving requests by the instructor. These driving instructions may include the following:
1. The new driver can be asked to start the car, and to place the car in drive.
2. The driving applicant may be asked to drive along a quiet street or can be asked to drive along an interstate road.
3. Parking skills can be tested. This test involves the driver parallel parking along a street with the instructor assisting with any problems that arise.
4. A driving student can be asked to back up and to put the car in reverse.
5. The proper speed needs to be kept at all times. The car needs to be driven quietly and without incident.
6. A seat belt needs to be worn at all times while sitting in the car and while driving.
Driver Education Classes
Several private companies offer driver’s education classes for new drivers. These classes allow an applicant to practice various driving skills that will be tested during a department of motor vehicles examination. Both the written questions and the driving skills instructions are taught at the driving education schools that are available.
Passing the Tests and Receiving a Driver’s License
There are several steps involved in receiving a driver’s license with the state of Connecticut. A written examination and driving instruction tests are requirements. A vision examination needs to be passed. Corrective lenses can be worn while taking any driving examination. Each applicant for a new driver’s license needs to show proper identification as well. These identification documents can include the following:
1. A certified birth certificate or a valid passport are two forms of identification that will qualify for proof of person.
2. The second form of identification will need to accompany the first document. The second form of identification can include a military id, marriage certificate, pilot’s license, certified school transcript, social security card, or baptismal certificate.
3. Each applicant needs to show proof of Connecticut residency. This can be in the form of a utility bill, mail addressed to the applicant or receipt of mail that shows that the person lives in the state.
4. The social security number will need to be verified as well. This can be verified with a W-2 or 1099 or another tax document.
5. A passport sized photograph is needed as well for each applicant.
Each new applicant for a Connecticut driver’s license will need to complete an application, have the correct documents to accompany the form, and attach the correct application fee amount. Written and instructional driving tests are required for each new driver. A vision test is required, but corrective lenses may be worn for driving.
Take Free Practice Test Now
Connecticut DMV Practice Test – Quiz 1 (Signs)
Connecticut DMV Practice Test – Quiz 2 (Signs)
Connecticut DMV Practice Test – Quiz 3 (Rules)
Connecticut DMV Practice Test – Quiz 4 (Rules)
Connecticut DMV Practice Test – Quiz 5 (Rules)
Connecticut DMV Practice Test – Quiz 6 (Rules)
Connecticut DMV Practice Test – Quiz 7 (Rules)