This Alaska DMV permit practice test, with multiple-choice questions, is intended to help you prepare for the Alaska written knowledge test that is required before you can get your driver’s license. Passing the Alaska Instruction permit exam is as easy as 1 2 3 using our online interactive driving practice tests with high-quality images. The study for this driver’s license practice test is completely free.

Every person who operates a motor vehicle on Alaska streets, highways, or other public property must have a valid Alaska driver’s license or permit. An instruction permit is required for everyone learning to drive on a street or highway. If you are 14 years of age or older, you may obtain the permit which is valid for two years.

If you have completed a defensive driving course, you may be able to save on your auto insurance premiums when buying a new or used car either by financing, leasing, or through a bank car loan.

Getting Ready for the Alaska DMV Practice Test? Here’s What to Know!

Alaska DMV Practice TestAre you planning to take the Alaska DMV Practice Test?  Let us help you get ready!

Great! How do I start?

Let’s begin with the Alaska Instruction Permit:

You are eligible to apply for an instruction permit when you are 14.

  • While you are learning to drive, you must be accompanied by a licensed driver at least 21 years old, who has at least one year of driving experience in the type of vehicle you are driving.
  • He or she must be seated in the passenger seat at all times.

Instruction permits are valid for two years and may be renewed one time.

Important: Even if you have an instruction permit from another state, you must have an Alaska instruction permit before driving in Alaska.

How can I get my Instruction Permit?

1. You must go to your local DMV office* and bring proof of your name and date of birth:

*If you do not have a local DMV office in your community, please see the Guide to Rural Driving Information.

  • An original or certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate
  • Passport or passport card (issued by the United States or US Territory) Note: Expired passports and military or “no fee” passports, which are endorsed for military travel abroad are not valid for this purpose
  • Canadian citizens must present appropriate immigration documents with their Canadian passport
  • An Alaska instruction permit or Alaska State Identification card
  • Military Identification for active duty, retiree or reservist
  • Certificate of Citizenship, Naturalization or Birth Abroad
  • Passport issued from another country, with appropriate immigration document
  • If you are under 18 years old, you will also need to bring Form 433, Parent/Guardian Consent for a Minor, signed by a natural parent or a legal guardian. It must be notarized or witnessed by a DMV employee.

Important Notice Regarding Names on Your Documents!

Alaska ID cards and licenses must be issued in the name on the immigration documents. If the name will change due to marriage, etc., the name must be updated on the immigration documents and with Social Security before the new name can be recorded on an Alaska ID card or license. Please Note: If your legal name is different from what is printed on your primary document, you will need to bring in the document(s) that provide proof of your name change. You must update your name with Social Security before changing your name with DMV.

2. You must also bring a second form of proof of your identity. Just one is required. Examples of appropriate documents are:

  • Permit or license from another state
  • Current employee ID
  • Health insurance card
  • IRS or a state tax form
  • Medical records
  • Military Dependent identification
  • Pilot’s license
  • School ID

3. One document proving your current residency. The document must show your residence address, nota post office box, or other mail cache facility.

  • Utility bill
  • Alaska voter registration card
  • Alaska title and/or registration (Issued at least 30 days prior to application)
  • Current Paycheck Stub
  • Medical Assistance card
  • Public Assistance card
  • A canceled check or bank statement
  • Mortgage or rental documents

4. Your Social Security Number:

  • If you have a Social Security Number number, you must include it on your application. The information on your application (name, date of birth) must verify with Social Security’s records. For information regarding your Social Security Number, please see the Social Security Administration Website
  • If you do not have a Social Security Number, you must provide documentation from the Social Security Administration verifying that you have not been issued a number.
  • Please Note: Instead of a social security card, you may bring another document issued by the United States Social Security Administration or the United States Department of Treasury, Internal Revenue Service that shows both your name and social security number.

What will happen at the DMV office?

After you present the necessary documents, you will:

  • Pass written knowledge test (click here for the Alaska Driver Manual)
  • Pass a vision test
  • Pay $15 (click here to see fees)

After completing all requirements, you will be issued your Instructional Permit.  Alaska offers The Parent’s Supervised Driving Program. Parents and teens will receive the program’s printed curriculum at no cost at the time of permitting at the state’s licensing facilities. The program aims to enhance the state-required supervised driving experience by providing parents with a guide that offers guidance and suggestions for higher-order learning behind the wheel. This resource is brought to parents thanks in part to Ford Motor Company. You and your parents will use the guide to log the 40 required hours of practice driving.

What happens when I am 16 years old?

You are on your way! If you have had your Instructional Permit for six months, you can now apply for a Provisional License. Here is what you will need to apply:

  • You must pass a road test before receiving a Provisional License.
  • While practicing with your Learner’s Permit, the adult with you must have been licensed for 1 year and must be 21 years of age or older.
  • Your parent, legal guardian, or employer must provide proof that you have had at least forty (40) hours of driving experience. This must include at least ten (10) hours of driving in challenging circumstances such as inclement weather and nighttime driving.

You will now have more freedom than with your Instructional Permit, but there are some restrictions:

  • You may not carry passengers under the age of 21, except siblings.
  • You may not drive between 1:00 & 5:00 a.m.


  • Unless you are accompanied by a person who is at least 21 years of age that is licensed to drive the type or class of vehicle being driven.
  • Unless you are driving to or from your place of employment or within the scope of your employment. All driving must be along the most direct route.

After age 18, you can apply for a full Alaska driver’s license.